(Visit one of the best online AOS-galleries for high quality steles: https://ajl.smugmug.com/AustinOsmanSpare/Austin-Osman-Spare-Archive/i-XQ8BWjS).
There are nine formulas contained within Zos Speaks!: 1.The Formula of the white sabbath, 2. The formula of Plotinus – The earthenware virgin, 3. The communion of Auto-Ego of Zos, 4. How to return Evil to its source, 5. Of fortune telling by cards (foretelling by familiars), 6. Metamorphosis by ‘Death posture’, 7. Transcendental perspective as a means of mediumship and anoetic analgesia, 8. Formula of arrivism, 9. The Theurgy of Zos.
In total you’ll find nine steles in this post, which are loosely connected, from right to left, to the formulas (I haven’t found one specific stele made for the first formula anywhere, and I don’t know if the artist made one). Formula nr.2 The earthenware virgin is for instance relatable to the Lilith stele (and to aquarius astrologically), and formula nr 3. the communion of Auto-ego of Zos to the Magical stelae (two steles very closely related: https://karlirjohanarnt.wordpress.com/2018/07/04/an-art-analysis-of-the-magical-stelae/). Formula number four how to return evil to its source are relatable to stele nr three in the sequence – and so on…to the ninth formula: The Theurgy the of Zos – The Iconoclast of Theocrasia – the book’s purpose (several seasons instead of one/from one Catholic whoredom to many pimps and harems. For spiritual nourishment:
“SWEET BABALON” – Lon Milo DuQuette: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhr25XDPFb4
). Sadly the purpose has been defeated by the author’s inclination towards secrecy, since it is, for most witches, a closed/inactivated book.
- Regarding other magical stelaes (finished and unfinished): http://ahrfoundation.org/2010/11/08/new-austin-osman-spare-catalogue-from-fulgur/
The role cast in this drama: The matrix: The Earth with its three broadbands governing the seasons, Nephtys: the earth, Isis: the moon and Sirius, The man with the dog: The Dog Star – the elemental of Sirius, Thoth: knowledge and also attributed to the moon, Geb: the elemental of earth and moon (could also include the earth-sun), The red Dwarf: a representation of the heated earth, Tiamat: the primordial earth and a symbol of the powers of chaos and destruction/renewal (winter, The Tree of death). The two eyes of Ra: earth-sun and Sirius. Steffi Grant: Isis, Kenneth Grant: possibly The Dog Star elemental.
According to Sumerian myth, Tiamat, the primordial earth, was hit by Marduk (Nibiru or one of Niburu’s moons, a big asteroid, meteor or something) on the lowest part of the globe, then transformed into the version of the Earth as we know it today (interpreted by Sitchin and others: http://www.newagegod.com/ENKImedia/earth2.htm). The cause of the Earth’s wobble – the first aeon (The new aeon cycles would probably differ from the ones previous to the impact because of the loss of mass and the push from the impact. And the wobble was probably non-existent). With Liber Al, Crowley initiated the new Aeon of Aquarius. In the steles, one could interpret it as if Austin Osman Spare initiates the first Aeon – representing himself as THE scribe/initiator in this artwork (he painted them for God’s sake:=))) – setting everything in motion by giving the Earth a sigilic push towards the equinox position.
The steles painted by the artist Austin Osman Spare, which are meant to be read as a sequence, are related to his last magnum opus: Zos Speaks! (With Kenneth Grant and Steffi Grant as big contributors: they were actually mentioned as co-creators in the letters). The 365 sacred letters in the book are supposed to be reorganized, and these steles could be thought of as clues in this matter.
“For I am I: ergo, the truth of myself; my own sphinx, conflict, chaos, vortex—asymmetric to all rhythms, oblique to all paths. I am the prism between black and white: mine own unison in duality” (Zos Speaks! K.Grant, A.O.Spare. Fulgur).
The disproportion of the analemmas (the earth’s distance from the sun) equates to the proportion of the vase (earth/cube). The summer solstice symbol .
The cube of the witches (ugly as hell, and frozen/barren <the crone/the winter sides>: the proportions are quite opposite to those of the vase. Narrow at the top, wide at the bottom.
“You’ve got a pussy, I have a dick. So what’s the problem?” (Ramstein)
- The Great Arkanum (Gnostic Teachings): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JU1WAaTSjgI (Note: The witches from The Zos Vel Thanatos tradition belongs to the gray tradition, at least according to the exoteric text (The Zoetic Grimoire of Zos): “great saving, total spending”)
(Quotations from an interview with Tesla)
- Tantric energy tested by science: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIR1lBHS2Pg&t=0s&list=LLsnJF8_ZalVcebZCehaj2tg&index=2
- The Globe Earth – The Solstices and Equinoxes Explained by Kelly White: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=To-oFiyd6Dc&t=127s
A quote from the centre of the illustration below – a possible point of connection: “Pair of legs D Zero” (40 pair of legs within the circle(s), or in a part(s) of the circle. 40 witches. Only one half of the Tetragrammaton).
Interpretation: ‘The four seasons, the snake (the sun/Zodiac) and the hooded witch’
“A small talisman arabesque of the major erotic zones is passed around and kissed by all. Then follows a short perverse communion, then a symposium with suggestive exhibitionism, libidinous stories and abreaction of sexual fantasies – developing into the real thing” (Zos Speaks! K, Grant, A.O.Spare, p220, Fulgur).
- As we know the sun’s beams hits the earth on three focal points, three bands. The upper band is the one of the summer solstice, which is hit by the sun due to the earth’s 23 degrees tilt/wobble, when the earth is tilted in the direction towards the sun. The lowest of the three bands, that of the winter solstice, is hit when the earth tilts 23 degrees in the opposite direction of the sun (the sun’s ray hits the lowest parts of the earth). While the middle band, the equator, is hit at the equinoxes when the globe isn’t tilted.
The Maya stele: “At sunset of equinox day, on the steps of the Kukulkan pyramid, you can see a descending serpent consisting of seven reversed isosceles triangles made up of sunlight and shadow. As time goes by, it looks like a snake-form descends from the temple and at last a light is projected on the head of the feathered serpent at the base of the steps” (http://blog.xichen.tours/en/5-things-you-didnt-know-about-the-equinox-at-chichen-itza/).
I count 12 triangles in total (light beams, hours), seven connected to the matrix: the earth, as well as 12 around the Maya threatening sun.
“The earliest models of cameras threw a shadow graph, while the complex cameras there’s a parallel to the growth of the senses” (Zos Speaks p251). In the Maya stele we can see a complex camera model as such: with the reflected images (spirals), from earlier models, consisting of three:, two: and one: shadow graphs, which could point to different intervals (spacing) in each atavistic spiral strata. All three spirals tied together by the Golden ratio – transmuted into the alchemical symbol of gold . The Goddess, Nephtys, to the left holds the second part of the formula in her hand (the three lotus flowers: the opposite spiral). Merge the Sirius spiral, the Hunter, into the Nephtys spiral by using the Achilles and the tortoise paradox (the race between the stars). Nephtys also has a lotus flower on her head, and you can see below there are two rings outside the spiral. Does this mean that the spiral itself counts as a ring? Yes, I think so, and it equals 8 parts in total.
Illustration (Zos Speaks!, page 91, A.O.Spare, K.Grant, Fulgur). On the same page is a reference to the Law of change paragraph (p 254). I believe the number in the centre of the valentine shape is 60 (or 50), the same number as the number of cards used in the deck of cards mentioned in the fifth formula.
: spiral parts from the Lilith Stele. Here’s Andrew Chumbley’s variant in The Dragon Book Of Essex:
The fifth formula in Zos Speaks! also contains the serpentine layout. The red snake at the bottom of Nephtys (closed) circuit connects the painting with the Lilith stele, since the serpentine layout has 36 cards, and on the other side of the painting there’s another circuit (two separated parts of God/the whole (Shemaphoresh), meant to merge later. I’m referring to the hermaphrodite in the Magical Stelae and the third eye in the Lilith stele). Because if we go 36 steps up/down the the middle column from the Sun and Sirius (The sacred letters), we’ll reach the lower body of the King and Queen, which is interesting, since there are 12 triangles descending from the sun down to the Kukulkan pyramid in the Maya Stele. “As above, so below”.When the letters in the sacred alphabet are read serpent wise, these two letters are nr 30: ,“As above, so below”.
- “The reciprocal Fibonacci constant, or ψ, is defined as the sum of the reciprocals of the Fibonacci numbers…” (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reciprocal_Fibonacci_constant). Zos Speaks! concludes with (p273): “There is no greater pleasure than the mutual; reciprocity is my law”.
- The Sixth Formula deals with the transposition of the consciousness into the sex-centre, and the philosopher attributed to the formula is the great Zeno from Elea – a reference to The Achilles and the tortoise paradox
1 – 1/2 – 1/4 – 1/8 – 1/16 – 1/32
The Lucifer Stele
“Sine Net”, “Star : (Sirius) Races Star: (the sun) to 32 (S+M adds up to 32 in numerical value), the number of the Major arcana (ref. to The Tree of life context). The Zeno formula governs the Sirius spiral positioning to the Nephtys spiral.
The heart form symbolizes two unified spirals, as stated by Dan Winter in the Video.
Quote from the fifth formula in Zos Speeaks!: Of fortune telling by cards:”Likewise, the sorcerer’s shaft pierces through the protective aura by assertion becoming indirect suggestion as the consultant’s own”.
“Again I awake in some Athene’s bed – permitted once weekly” (Zos Speaks! p249).
“107. EVERY FOETUS has (an exterior) prescience as to destination from which, concurrently, is developed its own preception by experience: personal ego ex universal Ego. Hence our fore-knowledge is an abstract ominous conscience.
642. ONE’S WHOLE BODY and being constantly exude proclivity in all directions for affective pleasure: the sensualist for objects of sex, the aesthete for beauty, etc. Man is generally purblind – few know what they seek, only what they infer as extrinsic. The Arrivist knoweth by exteriorizing the intrinsic, by evocation; for what is not implicitly effective is never explicitly affective” (Zos Speaks!, The Logomachy of Zos).
- The Flower of life and cell division – geometry of creation: http://transmissionsmedia.com/flower-of-life-and-cell-division-geometry-of-creation/
- “Human cells have 23 pairs of chromosomes (22 pairs of autosomes and one pair of sex chromosomes), giving a total of 46 per cell” (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromosome). Somehow I think the numbers could have significance to the Urn formula, which is meant to be interpreted on several levels at once. One level is self burials and the consequent consequential resurrections. “In addition, we inherit a basic pattern from our chromosomes and genes which is our essential individuality and also rectifiable” (Zos Speaks! p272).
- Watch Alan Moore’s interesting interpretation of the painting here: Alan Moore on Austin Spare – The Culture Show: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=118&v=rlzEdlpigvk
- In some esoteric circles, people believes experiences in previous lives “dictates” your attractions/preferences and talents in this life.
7 metals and the number 22, a reference to Pi and the 22/7 ratio?
If the diamater is 14, the video Why Pi 22/7 shows us that the circumference is 44 (for more info watch the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfLqwWuOqiA)
Contemplating the meaning of the numbers: The circle in Goetia has 72 demons attributed to it. Further more the number represents the 72 names of God (Shemaphoresh), in other words, the parts of God as a whole.
“To give reality to your autistic thinking is the great theurgy of which I have given you the key: Sublimate your beliefs into the unfamiliar energeia of orgasm, for it is numinous, it is immanence and the moment of conception-creation. Zos stretched himself, saying: “These innocents need things unwrapped, then doctrinized and ornamented . . . so let me remember my oId abilities, summon my elementals, and commit my will to a new theurgy (Zos Speaks! p248). ”
12 small triangles (36) on each column (12 hours of light and 12 hours of darkness ). The petals are probably meant to be considered as two parts of the Flower of life. Eleven knots (the second burial:44(?) between the columns (the eye included). In the Lucifer mask, A.O. Spare used quadrangles and knots interchangeable (ten on the head, the frontal part, and ten in the horns).
- Heresy At Chartres: The Wickedest Cathedral In The World: https://www.richardcassaro.com/heresy-at-chartres/
- 2. The formula of Plotinus – The earthenware virgin. Plotinus worldview was geocentric.
The 20 quadrangles on Lucifers head adds up to 80 (the Tetragrammaton. The hermaphrodite aspect).
- ANCIENT VVISDOM “Light of Lucifer” (Official music video): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CkQGoLp1cA
“Again remember! Life is desire, death its rebuilding. Life is eternal and there is sleep” (Zos Speaks!p273). It’s in this part, in the rebuilding process, I suspect the rectifying properties in the chromosomes may activate and play out its role as a sulphuric agent.
- Two out of eight moon phases are shown in the Lilith stele.
Eight, a number relateable to the Serpent and the Serpentine layout which together adds up to a 9×8 matrix (an alternative to the 6×12 shown in the Lilith stele), or 8×10 or 20×4 matrixes – 80 another number for the Tetragrammaton (God’s representative on Earth, which is always hetereogenous: Gods and Goddesses, different degrees of matter). And as we’ll later see the number eight pops up again in other paintings, the 8×11 triangles – the constellations of the Milky way (or the way of the Spermatozoon:=))).
- Meaning of Sun Venus Jupiter conjunction in Astrology (3 planetary conjunctions): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mYGoxVhd-4
- The stele indicates the hearts (the sacred letters) in the alphabet as the points of connection (close to the centers: the Sun, Earth and Sirius).
- Plotinus issued a warning towards materialism, and claimed the soul could end up getting stuck into matter after contact with it (please don’t try to cross the abyss without proper preparations ;=))).
- The solstices and equinoxes had great significance for the timing of the sowing and harvesting in agriculture. It was for instance not usual to sow the seeds until two lunar cycles passed after the Spring Equinox (http://www.decodingmythology.com/precession/precession2.html). But the times did actually vary depending on the type of plant seeds. Winter wheat should for instance, according to the Chinese Fan Sheng-Chih, be sown seventy days after the Summer solstice (Science and Civilisation in China: Volume 6).
The Alchemy Of Cryptography
Nervous Temple (a reference to the Ark of the covenant?)
The painting depicts the event after Nibiru hit Tiamat (the primordial Earth). The hexagram and pentagram adds up to eleven, the same number as one of the key numbers in the Protection against evil men stele. The two biggest griffins, two zodiacs, stands on each their letter H, the 8th letter of the alphabet: 8+8=16 plus the two caduceus snakes (8’s) inside of the H’s adds up to 32, the Major arcana (88 constellations). It is also interesting to consider the number 88’s relationship to the 44 triangles in the Protection against evil men stele and the hexagrammation process ( Two paintings of the same period). The different postures of Tiamat represent the wobble caused by the impact
Inside the circle it’s written in enochian letters: “Visita Interiora Terrae Rectificando Invenies Occultum Lapidem” which in english translates into: ‘Visit the interior of the earth and rectifying (i.e. purifying), you will find the hidden/secret stone’ (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/vitriol#/media/file:vitriol-1-stolzius_von_stolzenburg-1614.png). The number seven is introduced (the number of planets, metals and chakras).
It Is Finished When Seven Are One. “‘The curse of God has entered the seven figures, so they are in conflict with one another.’ Just as the human will was transformed ‘into eternal sun, calm in God,’ ‘so in the Philosophical Work must all figures be transformed into one, into Sol. From seven must come one, and yet it remains in seven but in one desire, as every figure desires the others in love, so there is no longer any conflict.’ (Jacob Böhme, De signatura rerum). D.A. Freher, Paradoxa Emblemata, manuscript 18th century”. Alchemy & Mysticism: The Hermetic Museum by Alexander Roob (http://www.nachtkabarett.com/AlchemyAndKabbalah/Seven).
- The two ossuary flowers united. How to draw – a Torus (Vortex) – step by step tutorial (english): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2z1EAihGNY
- The Torus of Isis. Did Spare have this particular painting in mind when he formulated the first aphorism in Logomachy? “Wisdom is a stasis: Knowledge is like the ‘snake of eternity’, constantly eating itself and never finishing” (Zos Speaks! A.O.Spare, K.Grant. Fulgur).
“The Ark was a box with the dimensions of two-and-a-half cubits in length, by one-and-a-half cubits in height, by one-and-a-half cubits in width (a cubit is about 18 inches). It was constructed of acacia wood, and was plated with pure gold, inside and out. On the bottom of the box, four gold rings were attached, through which two poles, also made of acacia and coated in gold, were put. The family of Kehath, of the tribe of Levi, would carry the ark on their shoulders using these poles” (https://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/the-ark-of-the-convenant.”
Within the ring of Enochian letters (the Nervous Temple painting) there are two symbols: the pentagram and the hexagram which adds up to eleven – one half of the pathways of the Tree of life. The Ossuarry (the container) of the Ark of the Covenant contains four gold rings (ref to the quote above) – symbolizing the four trees of life(?). In this context it is also interesting, as a curiosity, to mention the Old Lab Rat, a guy on youtube experimenting with putting different numbers of pythagoran pyramids together in circle constellations. He discovered that 8 pythagoran pyramids in a certain circle formation had an imploding effect (KICK ASS ORGONITE https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JcKcBuGuPQ). I can’t attest for this effect myself – since I haven’t bothered to reconstruct the experiment – but Nassim Haremein talks about the Ark of the Covenant as an anti-gravity device. He also links the device to the eight Trees of life (ref. to the youtube video below).
- In the video Nassim Haramein unites 8 trees in a Flower of life pattern. Tetragrammaton – The Most Sacred Knowledge On Our Planet – Nassim Haremin: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peYrSP8cke8
(The Axial vent positioned in 23/23 degrees solstices (Zos Speaks!).
Its features are very similar to the Sigillum Dei Aemeth’s features (from Dee’s Enochian system):The phallus (the obelisk, penta) within the seven angles.
A very interesting aspect of the Sigillum Dei Aemeth is that it also functions as a deciphering wheel (Code key. For more information watch Taliesin McKnight’s excellent instructions on the matter: Enochian Magick 101: Sigillum Dei Aemeth of John Dee, Heptarchia Mystica, & Spirit Evocation https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOeMXrrJ5jM&t=14s).
The Sigillum Dei Ameth is found in various systems: in one Italian manuscript of The key of Solomon Grimoire, The Sworn book of Honorius (which interestingly enough has the name of Shemaophoresh, the 72 names of God, written in the outer circle where one of the lock mechanisms of the Sigillum is located). The outer circle contains 40 spaces, which correspond to “Pair of legs D Zero” (40 pair of “witches legs” within the circle(s); I’m referring to a painting mentioned earlier in this post. The way it is written may indicate other usages as well. In Lon Milo Duquette’s book Enochian Vision Magick, chapter 10, there’s written that 40 angels revealed themselves to Kelley in a vision (with one letter attributed to each angel). For further instructions on how to use the deciphering wheel, you can check out the video: Enochian Magick 101:Sigillum Dei Aemeth of John Dee, Heptarchia Mystica, & Spirit Evocation on Taliesin Mcknight‘s youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOeMXrrJ5jM.
The illustration, The Mask of Lucifer, positioned over Forces of the Sigils painting ( The search of Abraxas, S.Skinner, N. Drury), appears in Lucifer over London (Lewis Spence, illustrated by A. O. Spare). It is also included in Zos Speaks! The front part of his head has 5 quadrangles/spaces positioned on each side, and with the same amount on the back part (five knots on each horn) it would add up to 20 (4×20=80 – the tetragrammaton). The four triple-knots represents equator/ on each side and the seasons. If the corners are added, it adds up to 24, the number of light hours on the North pole at the Summer solstice. The knots of the beard, the first two seasons, are unknotted when the Earth bows for Lucifer. The letter with the numerical value 20 in the hebrew alphabet, is the eleventh letter Kaf (https://gnosticteachings.org/courses/alphabet-of-kabbalah/737-kaf.html). Further it’s underlined in the Prayer of communion, before entering the womb (the Winter Solstice), how the participants are in the Magical Equinox. In the Doctrine and credo, dedicated to Ashmodeus (Asmodeus aka Asmoday), it is stated he reigns in Chaos, and written of as a mighty genitalia which knows no satiation. In the Prayer of communion he’s spoken of as an insatiable and peripheral quadriga of sex (Winter solstice and Tiamat). Lucifer as an Emissary acts in the end of dark periods and in the beginning of light periods, the governing principle of sublimation. In the Prayer of adoration he is entitled Rehctaw, watcher backwards (A law establishment by Spare. Many of the glyphs are written/read bi-directional).
I believe there’s a high probability that number 40 symbolizes one half of the Tetragrammaton (after watching Nassim Haramein’s Tetragrammaton video on youtube). In the bible the number is mentioned several times for instance in the myth of Noah where it rained for 40 days and 40 nights. The Gnostics, in their interpretation of the text, connects the number to the 13th letter, Mem, of the hebrew alphabet, since 40 is the numerical value of the letter (a symbol of water). The seven points in the Sigillum Dei Ameth could of course be interpreted as the last H in YHVH, the seven lowest sephiras in The tree of life with its inherent seven planets. Light from the (fixed and “eternal”) stars whirling down through the planetary system and down to Malkuth, the Earth. In relation to number 7, it is also interesting that women are pregnant a 40 weeks period (the Dog days lasts for 40 days, a period regarded as a fertilization period in Egypt). A mystery concerning the Tetragrammaton revealed by Crowley, is that the two last letters of the tetragrammaton (YHVH) are supposed to marry and become absorbed into the second letter, Binah, and spawn a “child” (knowledge).
“Remember that above the Tree of Life, there are three aspects of the Absolute, namely, the Ain, the Ain Soph, and the Ain Soph Aur. The letter ם final Mem is related with the second aspect, Ain Soph. In other words, the word soph, which means “end, final,” relates to the letter ם final Mem. We can say that it relates to the Unmanifested Mother. This is why in Gnostic esotericism we call ם final Mem “the Unmanifested Mother,” the Soph, the end, the limitless; so Ain Soph is related to the ם final Mem, as we see it in the word ים, which means sea, which is where Iod (Kether) joins with the unknowable divine, the abstract absolute space, the final Mem; it is where the uncreated light ends and begins, the Unmanifested Mother, which I repeat is called Soph: the Ain Soph” (https://gnosticteachings.org/courses/alphabet-of-kabbalah/741-mem.html).
The book is available on: https://ajl.smugmug.com/AustinOsmanSpare/Two-Grimoires/
For Spare, based on the form of the letters, one may assume the numbers had significance to time and space and proportions – if they contain kabalistic/hebrew values. The context the number 20 appears, on top of Lucifer’s head, makes it more probable than not ( But it would be foolish not to interpret it into The Prayer of Adoration where it gets a more conventional meaning, i.e from a left hand path practitioner’s viewpoint: the I am God doctrine (The Light bringer/ the catalyst of “Gods will”: the neither-neither). The reason why kaf is relevant, is because its painted previous to when the manuscript of Zos Speaks! was written, and then later Spare reused the illustration as a part of the formula. In a Summer solstice context it’s worth to mention that there are 24 hours of light at the North pole.
“The kaf, the representation of Kesser, the crown of the King, reminds us that our intention in performing mitzvos must focus on our submission to G‑d’s will” (https://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/137083/jewish/Kaf-Kingship.htm.)
- Recommended literature: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Qabalah-Qliphoth-Goetic-Thomas-Karlsson/dp/0972182063/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1529611036&sr=8-1&keywords=Goetic+magic+Karlsson
- Venus and Sirius: http://www.interpres.cz/worag/cosmol/sothis.htm
- The Nebra sky disk has 39 or 40 holes around it – why, the scientist don’t know: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nebra_sky_disk
- There are also other references to the Enochian system in Zos Speaks! Erh (Er) for instance in Enochian means watcher.
- Some letters are enochian
- One of Dee’s big efforts was trying to correct the Victorian calender, which was measured according to the Solstices and Equinoxes.
- John Dee knew and wrote about the Camera Obscura, in fact his crystal ball worked in the same manner when he put it on The Sigillum Dei Ameth: the angelic letters were inverted and reverted (I highly recommend a youtube video entitled: John Dee, Shakespeare-Camera Obscura – A Consuming Perspective with James Egan & Dan Winter).
- The Enochian Holy table has 88 letters around and 12 (the Zodiac) in the centre. One letter in Spare’s sacred alphabet contains of two intertwined 8’s (the 88 constellations or the intertwined solar influx from two stars).
- Kenneth Grant asked Austin Osman Spare why he had included the overview of the seven planets and the Zodiac symbols (the closing stages of his work with the material for the manuscripts included in Zos Speaks! (Zos Speaks!, p.111-112). Spare did not answer the question, or it was omitted from the book. The overview did not end up in the final version of the manuscripts, but the importance of the Zodiac is however explained in the aphorisms, as showed earlier in the post.
- The Zodiac is astronomicaly speaking a part of the 88 constellations. It seems however that Dee and Kelly separated them from the others (duplicated them, the twelve signs of the Zodiac, so that they ended up with 100 constellations in total) – perhaps because of their greater significance, the practical usage (navigation and time). The Enochian matrix is probably the matrix Spare used.
- Recommended reading: Enochian Vision Magick : An Introduction and Practical Guide to the Magick of Dr. John Dee and Edward Kelley. Author: Lon Milo Duquette
References to The Goetia:
Excerpt from the eight formula:”The best person to choose would be of the ‘arrivist type’–those cocky bastards who seem to obtain all they need whenever they want it. Being intense egocentrics they are mediumistic or susceptible only to silent suggestion… So, look into their eyes and convey to them silently that they are the media for the transit of the obsessing elemental desired. They act simply as something en rapport between you and the elemental. To make yourself acceptive and fit for obsession–acts of sacrifice and purgation are essential beforehand. Also, the elemental must be named and given an appropriate Sigil” (Zos Speaks!).
The illustration is a referrence to Goetia, The Lesser Key Of Solomon, found in one of the first books authored by Austin Osman Spare, the book entitled Earth Inferno. Some examples of references to the Goetia in Zos Speaks! are for instance the eight formula regarding Arrivism and the second formula of the Urn (V.I.T.R.I.O.L)
For more information about Goetia, I’d recommend Poke Runyon’s books. The videos on Youtube.com are also invaluable as an introduction and to the practical work. Runyon was a member of the Golden Dawn (a sub-Rosicrucian group), the same organization which Crowley once was initiated. And it was most likely Crowley who introduced Austin O. Spare to the Goetia in his trial period at Crowley’s organization The Brotherhood Of The Silverstar. Same roots.
Two main components from The Formulae of Zos vel Thanatos, manuscripts within Zos Speaks!, are hosted by Hermetic.com: